March 29, 2020 at 9:00 AM EDT
- 23A: [Relaxed dress code] is CASUAL ATTIRE, with a doubled TIRE. Crossing those doubled letters are PUTTER, SHIITES, SORRY and THEE.
- 56A: [Final notes?] is CRIB SHEETS, with a doubled RIBS. Crossing those doubled letters are CHIRR, RADII, B–BALL and ASSES.
- 79A: [Like exhibits with audio and video components] is MULTIMEDIA, with a doubled TIME. Crossing those doubled letters are OTTER, WIIMOTE, DEMME and PUREE.
- 117A: [Leonidas’s belligerent catchphrase in “300”] is “THIS IS SPARTA,” with a doubled PART. Crossing those doubled letters are SLAPPED, JAY HAAS, ERRED and AT TEN.
- 15D: [Portobello top] is MUSHROOMCAP, with a doubled ROOM. Crossing those doubled letters are DEAD PARROT, SNOOTY, ME TOO and EMMYS.
- 67D: [Blue Jacket’s boot] is HOCKEY SKATE, with a double KEYS. Crossing those doubled letters are GEKKO, EERIE, SAY YES and LESSON PLAN.
The doubled words are tied together by the central answer SPARE at 68A: [Extra, or a word that precedes the “extra” words in this puzzle].
As I always learn the hard way, rebus puzzles become way, way tougher to create once you string together multiple rebus squares in a row. If nothing else, let this puzzle be an excuse to watch Monty Python’s classic Dead Parrot sketch.
What did you think?
We noticed you’re blocking ads!
Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker. Or purchase a subscription for unlimited access to real news you can count on.