Department of Health reports no further Covid-19 deaths and 56 new cases

There have been no further deaths of people with Covid-19, while an additional 56 confirmed cases of the virus have been reported in Ireland, the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) has said.

Monday’s figures bring the total number of deaths in the Republic to 1,774, while the total number of confirmed cases now stands at 27,313.

Meanwhile, Nphet is meeting on Monday evening to consider further recommendations for the Government after 266 cases of the virus were confirmed over the weekend.

Of the cases confirmed on Monday, 35 are confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case, while 12 cases have been identified as community transmission.

Twenty six are in Kildare, 13 in Dublin and the rest of the 17 cases are in Donegal, Galway, Kerry, Laois, Longford, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Westmeath and Wicklow.

Some 79 per cent of the cases are in people who are under 45 years of age, the Department of Health said. Of the newly-confirmed cases, 29 were men and 27 of the cases are women.

It is believed 18 cases of Covid-19 have been diagnosed associated with an outbreak at a mushroom processing facility in Golden, Co Tipperary. Local HSE officials told TDs of the other cases on Sunday evening, it is understood. Added to the 11 positive tests from workers at Walsh’s mushrooms last week, the total linked to the outbreak is now 29.

The HSE set up a testing facility in Golden over the weekend, which has now been dismantled. However, a spokesman for HSE/South East Community Healthcare said there may be a similar follow-up testing exercise in the next week. Local Fianna Fáil TD Jackie Cahill said he is “happy that testing was completed efficiently and quickly”.

A Garda checkpoint on the M4 near Celbridge, Co Kildare, in April after new travel restrictions were introduced. Photograph: Alan Betson
A Garda checkpoint on the M4 near Celbridge, Co Kildare, in April after new travel restrictions were introduced. Photograph: Alan Betson

Earlier, the Minister for Health said he expects an increase in the number of deaths and hospitalisations as a result of the recent spike in Covid-19 cases.