ES News email

Members of the Irish cabinet were restricting their movements after the Health Minister reported feeling unwell.

It was initially announced that parliament had been suspended indefinitely, however Taoiseach Micheal Martin later told RTE the Dáil, the Irish parliament, that it will be reconvened at 8pm.

Health minister Stephen Donnelly reported feeling unwell on Tuesday, however he has since confirmed that he has tested negative for coronavirus.

Ceann Comhairle (speaker) Sean O Fearghail told ministers: “I have very serious information. I’m told that arising out of events today, the cabinet must now self-isolate.

“Therefore the possibility of proceeding with business does not arise and the house stands adjourned, I suspect, until Tuesday next.

“Or until I’m directed by the Taoiseach to reconvene the house. So Dail adjourned until further notice.”

Mr Donnelly took part in the cabinet meeting on Tuesday morning, before later attending a press conference announcing the government’s latest coronavirus plan to move forward over the next six months.

Taoiseach Micheal Martin speaking in Dublin at the unveiling of the Irish Government’s blueprint for living with Covid-19 (PA)

Sinn Fein president Mary-Lou McDonald described the developments at the Irish Parliament on Tuesday as a “bad turn of events”.

She said she wishes Mr Donnelly well after he indicated he planned to take a test for Covid-19, but cautioned against closing government down.

“If anyone needs to be tested, of course they need to be tested. But we have to avoid, if at all possible, closing down Government business,” she told RTE.

Parliament adjourned just hours after ministers announced a new Covid-19 blueprint to further reopen the country’s economic, social and cultural life.

The latest coronavirus figures released by the National Public Health Emergency Team on Tuesday evening revealed three further deaths with Covid-19.

Tui closes 166 high street stores in UK and Ireland

There have been 357 new cases of the virus confirmed in the last 24-hour reporting period, 218 of which were in Dublin. The fatalities take Ireland’s coronavirus death toll to 1,787.

There have been a total of 31,549 confirmed cases of Covid-19.

Meanwhile the medium-term six-month plan for living with coronavirus is structured around five different levels of restrictions, numbered from one to five.

Every county in Ireland has been given a status two risk level, but several additional restrictions are being applied to Dublin – which stop short of level three status.

Ireland’s capital has seen a marked increase in Covid-19 cases in recent weeks.

The added restrictions in the city and wider Dublin county will see pubs that do not serve food having to remain closed when those in the rest of the country open next week.

Unveiling the plan, Mr Martin said: “We must continue to live with the reality that Covid-19 is potentially deadly, causes long-term illness, and we must limit the spread.

“When the vaccine is available, we will move quickly to implement a widespread vaccination programme, however I want people to understand that even before then, we can go much further in opening up economic, social and cultural life in our country.

“We can do this if we work together in implementing the comprehensive plan, which we’re launching today.”

In the capital, the six-person gatherings in homes and gardens can only involve a maximum of two households.

“This is a plan which gives clarity about each of our responsibilities and how different situations and sectors will be handled,” the Taoiseach added.

Deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill, Taoiseach Micheal Martin and First Minister Arlene Foster (PA)

“It includes concrete measures which address both well established and emerging issues.

“It shows how we can limit the impact of the virus while keeping our schools open, protecting and expanding employment, reopening services and supporting social and cultural activity.”

Mr Martin said the current Covid-19 cases in Dublin are “very worrying”.

Appealing to residents in the city, he said: “Rising rates of infection can be reversed by concerted public action, and by all this adhering to the guidance and taking personal responsibility.”

In other developments, Mr Martin announced an additional 600 million euro funding package to help the country’s health service cope with the winter pressures.

He also said the government had decided to “broadly support” the European Commission proposals on travel.

Mr Martin also announced a new governmental group, chaired by the secretary general of the Taoiseach’s department, to oversee the implementation of public health advice given by the National Public Health Emergency Team.

Additional reporting by PA Media.