Good morning and welcome to Fox News. Here’s what you need to know as you start your day …
Trump warns Iran after reports country is considering plot to assassinate US ambassador
President Trump took to Twitter late Monday and warned Iran that any strike against the U.S. would be met with a counterattack “1,000 times greater in magnitude.”
Trump cited reports that said Tehran may be considering an assassination attempt on Lana Marks, the United States’ ambassador to South Africa. U.S. officials have been aware of threats against the ambassador since the spring, but intelligence suggests those threats have become more specific in recent weeks.
An intelligence source told Fox News the intel community is taking the threat against the ambassador seriously and believes the Iranian regime potentially has the ability to act on an assassination plot. She is just one of several U.S. officials that American intelligence agencies believe Tehran is considering for retaliation for the killing of Soleimani. Iran has denied the reports.
The Pentagon said Soleimani “was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region.” CLICK HERE FOR MORE ON OUR TOP STORY.
In other developments:
– Iran considering plot to assassinate US ambassador to South Africa, report says
– Trump orders attack that kills Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani, other military officials in Baghdad, Pentagon says
– Trump says Soleimani was planning ‘imminent and sinister attacks’ in first public remarks since US airstrike
– Trump says Soleimani should have been killed ‘years ago,’ was ‘hated’ within Iran
Hurricane Sally strengthens ‘rapidly’ as Gulf Coast braces, mandatory evacuations orders issued in Louisiana, Mississippi
Residents along the Gulf Coast were under hurricane and tropical storm warnings Monday as a “rapidly” strengthening Hurricane Sally zeroed in on the region.
The U.S. National Hurricane Center (NHC) in Miami said midday Monday that hurricane hunters have found Sally has “rapidly strengthened” to hurricane status.
As of 11 p.m. ET Monday, Sally was located about 130 miles southeast of Biloxi, Miss., moving at 3 mph in a west-northwest direction, the NHC in Miami reported. It was still too soon at that time to project where the storm would make landfall as the storm made a slightly eastern turn.
The current forecast by the NHC shows the storm will be a Category 2 hurricane by the time it makes landfall early Tuesday. Regardless of how strong it gets the impact will be the same, with the biggest risk being the water. CLICK HERE FOR MORE.
In other developments:
– As Hurricane Sally approaches, New Orleans flood gates close
– Tropical Storms Teddy, Vicky form as hurricane center tracks 8 systems; ‘storms everywhere’
– Mississippi governor warns coastal residents of Hurricane Sally: ‘The time to get out is now’
– Gulf Coast residents brace for new Hurricane Sally
Kamala Harris accidentally touts plans under a ‘Harris administration’ during virtual roundtable
Kamala Harris, Joe Biden’s running mate in the 2020 election, raised eyebrows on Monday evening after she accidentally touted economic plans under a “Harris administration.”
Speaking during a virtual roundtable with small business owners in Arizona, Harris vowed they will have an ally in the White House with the campaign’s “Build Back Better” initiative.
However, the California senator appeared to briefly suggest she was at the top of the Democratic ticket.
“A Harris administration, together with Joe Biden as the president of the United States,” she said. She quickly clarified, “The Biden-Harris administration will provide access to $100 billion in low-interest loans and investments from minority business owners.” CLICK HERE FOR MORE.
In other developments:
– Mainstream media spent years ‘excusing’ Joe Biden’s gaffes, blunders: Media Research Center critic
– Critics slam mainstream media’s rush to cast Kamala Harris as moderate: ‘Absolutely, it’s coordinated’
– Guy Benson on Joe Biden’s latest gaffe: This is why Team Biden keeps him in the basement
– LA Sheriff Alex Villanueva challenges Lebron James to match reward money for gunman who ambushed two deputies in Compton
– University of Pittsburgh scientists discover antibody that ‘neutralizes’ virus that causes coronavirus
– CHAD PERGRAM: President Pelosi? How a contested election brawl could unfold on Capitol Hill
– Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers top Giants, Titans beat Broncos on last-second FG
– Ohio will not provide return postage for mail-in ballots for 2020 election
– Texas police officer charged after fatal shooting of woman who grabbed his stun gun, prosecutors say
THE LATEST FROM FOX BUSINESS:
– Netflix’s ‘Cuties’ prompts ‘churn’ as domestic subscribers flee
– JPMorgan CEO Dimon says economic recovery could be derailed
– Billionaire Steve Cohen to buy New York Mets for massive sum
#TheFlashback: CLICK HERE to find out what happened on “This Day in History.”
SOME PARTING WORDS
Sean Hannity tells viewers of Fox News’ “Hannity” police in this country have come under attack and cities have become war zones.
Not signed up yet for Fox News First? Click here to find out what you’re missing.
Fox News’ Go Watch page is now available, providing visitors with Pay TV provider options in their area carrying Fox News Channel & Fox Business Network.
Fox News First is compiled by Fox News’ Jack Durschlag. Thank you for making us your first choice in the morning! We’ll see you in your inbox first thing Wednesday.